Suggestions for Controlling Weevils in Shops, Warehouses & Homes
Weevils are found flying around everywhere as part of our natural environment.
They are most active when it is warmer than 12 degrees C and (unfortunately for shop owners) like warmth and often light.
Strategies for storage of flour and grain
- Store at low temperatures below 12 degrees. C and refrigerate if possible
- Keep area free of flour dust
- Keep area free of old stock they may harbor weevils - flour products, other goods such as dried fruits, nuts, grains and other cereal products
- Keep fresh stock and turn over as often as possible
- For long periods of storage use large sealed bins with dry ice added at a rate of 2 kilograms per tonne or part there of. Dry ice is available from larger service stations
- Grain and flour is safe for human consumption after the addition of dry ice
- Small quantities may be frozen for at least 10 days to kill weevils
- Small quantities may be microwaved at 60oC to kill weevils
- What we do on the farm and at the mill to control weevils
On The Farm
Certified biodynamic/organic farming demands that we store grain in white reflective painted silos to keep grain cool.
- Silos are sealed and then gassed with CO2 which kills weevils and
prevents oxidization of grain.
- CO2 is a natural atmospheric gas and is safe to use on foodstuffs.
In The Mill
- Flour is milled to order - almost all products from the Eden Valley Flour Mill have been freshly milled for your order.
- The Mill is kept clean and as dust free as possible.
- High volume dust extraction unit operates during flour milling.
*PLEASE NOTE As storage and handling is beyond our control once our product leaves our store and considering the weevil life cycle is of 14 days we will fully guarantee our product for 21 days only from dispatch date.