- 130 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Eden Valley Plain Cake and Biscuit Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Finely shredded zest of 2 lemons or 4 limes
- Preheat the over to 160 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line a 20cm spring form cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream together the zest and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Then add the desiccated coconut.
- Add the coconut mixture to the egg mixture and fold together until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until firm on top and cooked in the centre when tested with a skewer. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes while you make the syrup.
- Place all syrup ingredients into a saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and is thick and syrupy.
- Once the cake has cooled in the tin for 10 minutes, take it out and place on a wire rack. Pour half the syrup over the warm cake
- Reserve the remaining syrup to pour over when sliced.