Strategies for storage of flour and grain
- Store at temperatures below 12oC. Refrigerate if possible.
- Keep area free of flour dust.
- Keep area free of old stock that may harbour weevils – flour products, other goods such as dried fruits, nuts, grains and other cereal products.
- Keep fresh stock and turn over as often as possible.
- For long periods of storage use large, sealed bins with dry ice added at a rate of 2 kg per tonne or part thereof. Dry ice is available from larger service stations.
- Grain and flour are safe for human consumption after the addition of dry ice.
- Small quantities may be frozen for at least 10 days to kill weevils. The flour is safe to use with live or dead weevils which can be easily removed by sifting.
- Small quantities may be microwaved at 60oC to kill weevils.
On the farm
- Grain is stored in white or silver reflective silos to keep it cool and dry.
- Silos are made airtight, then the oxygen removed and replaced with atmospheric nitrogen (which we generate on farm) or occasionally with CO2. The oxygen free environment kills weevils and prevents oxidization of grain.
- N2 and CO2 are natural atmospheric gases and safe to use on foodstuffs.
In the mill
- Flour is milled to order directly from the grain silo – almost all products from the Eden Valley Flour Mill have been freshly milled for your order.
- The mill is kept clean and as dust free as possible.
- A high volume dust extraction unit operates during flour milling.
As storage and handling are beyond our control once our product leaves our store, and considering the weevil life cycle is 14 days, we will fully guarantee our product for 21 days only from dispatch date.